Thursday, July 3, 2008

Runaway story

Book I
Book II

There ya have it - the first two chapters of the epic that I've been mulling about in my mind for some time now. The thing is, this story is really getting away with itself. My original intention was for The Rapture to occur within the first few pages, and then the rest of the story would start from there.

I then decided to start the story in the middle and then flash back, just like The Odyssey and a lot of film noir do. That shouldn't have changed things too much, but I realized that I needed some sort of a dramatic hook to the whole thing. There had to be something personally at stake for Eagle-Man if he was going to try and turn the tide of the Apocalypse.

I figured out what that thing was, but then I had to set all of that up. So, by the time you get to the end of Book II, you'll discover that The Rapture still hasn't happened yet. I haven't started the third chapter just yet, but it's safe to say that it's finally going to happen there.

That's okay though, as I like what I have so far. The first one sets up many of the issues that the whole epic will deal with, and the second, while seemingly a bit of a diversion, sets up even more things that will play out by the end of the story. I was going for a mini-story within a larger one with Book II, and I was borrowing heavily from fairy tale traditions. Hopefully it works in the larger context of what I'm trying to do.

I think that's enough writing for today though. I need to ruminate on whether St. George gets raptured or not. Hmmm...

No comments: